Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Evil

As most of my friends know, I am against the Death Penalty....at least for the last 10 years or so. Today really tested that belief, although I still stand by it. I am just beginning to understand how someone can be and remain a victim of domestic violence. I've always thought....I would just leave or how can someone allow someone else to constantly do this to them....always admitting that there's really no way I could know since I've never been in that situation. What I should be asking myself is...how can someone beat a human being when there is nothing to provoke it. What inside of them makes them do it and could they stop it if they really wanted to? If I were in a situation where I was being abused, where I had children and no family, where I was told if I whispered a word I would be killed or my children would be killed, where I was locked up with no phone or internet, where every move I made was watched and filed away in someone's sick brain, where I couldn't think past how to get through today much less where I could run to if I left, what would I do?

I used to say there was no way I would stay...that I would report the Bastard and move on with my life. Now I realize it's not that easy. Some of the most calculating, controlling, manipulative people you will ever meet are perpetrators of domestic violence. Would I take a chance that they would act on their threat of killing my children? I don't know. Would I take a chance of calling the police and them not doing a damn thing, only to make the perpetrator more angry? I don't know. Would I file charges if I did get away and have to repeatedly come face to face with them in court? I don't know. 

I do NOT believe in the death penalty because there are too many cases of innocent people being executed. Even with DNA testing, new cases are not always 100%. Unfortunately, we have to be cut and dry on these issues. Otherwise, who decides? Is it ok to execute everyone on death row, even if there is not 100% proof of guilt, and call it "friendly fire"? We know some of them are guilty so we have to take our chances with the rest for the common good?.? I don't think so. Would I think the same way if someone raped MY little girl? I don't know. I pray I'll never have to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment